Saturday, January 28, 2023

Emotion has Sealed my Worldview

Here is a bit of self reflection.  I've noticed that I occasionally become overwhelmed with revulsion at certain behaviors and my mind is then made up.  I'm an open-minded person by nature, but there seems to a mechanism at work that keeps me from carrying this too far.  I previously took this approach more logically, writing a blog post entitled This I Believe.  I'm glad I did that as it has helped me to understand the world better.  Certain things are obvious to me and I will not let myself be gaslit.  

Logically, I say these are things that I'm > 95% sure of.  But that's intuition.  I don't have a spreadsheet for each thing I believe.  Rather, one of the functions of emotion is to fortify beliefs.  A good rule of thumb, perhaps, in expressing such strongly held beliefs is to use I-language.  For example, 

In hearing Democrats speak about Russia, I have been repeatedly overwhelmed with the feeling that they are catastrophically wrong.  This has made a profound impact on me and one that I can't / don't want to forget. 

This seems less threatening than:

Democrats continually lie about Russia and exaggerate the threat it poses to the West.  Western elites are evil in fomenting hatred against Russia based upon such lies and exaggerations. 

No comments:

To Our Children's Children's Children Once More

  This is my occasional confession of my true view of our world and what we might do to steer our ship in a better direction.  I'm sendi...